Monday, March 11, 2013

Rappers With My Ducky Pillow

I think I would like to inaugurate my blog with a series that I have entitled 'rappers with my ducky pillow'. It’s pretty self explanatory. I hope for it to be a recurring entry.

Growing up, my parents always opened up our home to friends and family. My sisters and I were frequently booted from our bedrooms to make room for a guest. I loved the sense of community that my parents fostered in our home. Our friends always felt welcome and our house was always bustling.

Being married to a musician means that he has musician friends and they go on tours. So I made it clear to Paul that it was never a burden to have his friends crash on our couch if they needed a place to stay when travelling to Brooklyn.

How I obtained my ducky pillow is actually a funny story on its own. I saw it in a store, thought it was cute but not worth the forty bucks. A month later I saw it at a garage sale in my neighborhood. I was so excited.. only three dollars! As I am handing the woman the cash, her young daughter comes out of the house and bursts into tears that her mom was selling 'her ducky pillow'. I look at the woman and she mouths “just go”. I didn’t know what to do... so I just did what the mom said and backed away clutching the ducky pillow. Yep. I took a little girls pillow. While she cried for me not to take it. It was slightly traumatizing.

That saucy duck now gets cuddled by rappers that crash in our home. It’s kind of amazing. None of them use it as a pillow. They curl up with it. I thought it was hilarious, and I wanted to take pictures of these tough looking guys cuddling my ducky pillow, but I realized the creepiness factor of them waking up to me taking a picture of them sleeping. Unfortunately for this series, but perhaps fortunately for Pastense and Mo Niklz (my favorite of all the rap names I have heard so far), I didn’t know them well enough at the time to feel like I could photograph them sleeping. Luckily, I knew Mark (aka PremRock) well enough to take that chance with him, cause now we have this gem. In the future, I’m just gonna embrace the creepy. Rappers beware.

No comments:

Post a Comment