Monday, March 25, 2013

Greetings From...


I got a vintage postcard in the mail the other day from my friend Candace. It was of a park in Berlin and she had written “wish we were here!” on the back. I love that. Sending a postcard to someone from an awesome place saying “wish you were here” is thoughtful, but you know it leads to some slight envy for the receiver. Candace’s postcard was sort of like getting an invitation for an adventure though.

She knows I love vintage postcards. I have a small collection of them. I got obsessed with these vintage embroidered Spanish costume postcards, and I bought a whole series of them. I think they are beautiful. They have so many things I love all rolled into one.. postcards, embroidery, vintage clothing, costumes, Spain..!


We also have a few that depict places in Brooklyn that we love, like the art museum, the botanic gardens, the bridge, etc. For our wedding save-the-date, Paul and I reproduced our postcard of the Brooklyn Bridge. We got married in a Victorian era social club in Brooklyn with a lot of history, so I liked that a vintage postcard conveyed the location and also the tone of the wedding.

Candace and I were roommates before I lived with Paul. She responded to my Craigslist post for a roommate, and we hit the jackpot. She is by far the best thing I ever found on Craigslist. Not only is she an awesome person, but she’s also an amazing artist. For me, her photography is the stand out, but she dabbles in just about every medium (peruse her portfolio!). She signed and dated the postcard, something you often do when writing letters, but since she is an artist, the line has been blurred for me. I consider her sending the postcard as an act of art. Sort of like a performance piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment