Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Futuristic T-Shirt Designs


My husband is on tour right now, promoting his new album “We Live in the Future”. Since he makes beats, he generally doesn't do any lyric writing. But I told him when we first started dating that he should NEVER write a song for me. I don’t know why I can’t handle that stuff, but it’s corny to me. I hate poetry too. So what.

We just got married this past year, and I do, however, secretly feel like he made this album for me. A lot of the albums he works on are darker, more serious (Billy Woods, I’m looking at you), but this one is dance-y, upbeat, and fun. While I completely appreciate the genius behind Billy Woods’ albums, I LOVE a good dance party in the kitchen. Most things go down in our kitchen it turns out.

Paul’s talented friends helped out with the artwork for the album- Matt Carter drew the album cover and Justin Keller did the graphic design. I love it. It looks so awesome. Between the album art and how much I dig this album, I got inspired myself and decided to screen print t-shirts for Paul to sell while on tour.

I wanted the designs to tie in with the cover art, so I decided to stick with the futuristic city theme. I decided on three designs representing NYC, LA, and Austin. They are cities he was planning on performing in, but they are also some of the most well-known music cities. I chose iconic buildings from each city- the Chrysler building for NYC, the Capitol Records building for LA, and the Capitol for Austin. I have a thing for patterns, so I filled each building with a pattern I thought was representative of each city. A Deco pattern for NYC, an Eames mid-century modern pattern for LA, and a southwestern pattern for Austin. And then I chose colors that I felt could be associated with each city- green for NYC (Paul’s music name is Willie Green), pink for LA, and orange for Austin. We decided to top each building with the futuristic orb from the cover art to make sure the t-shirts made sense with the album. I think they turned out pretty cool. A big thank you to Chris Nguyen for helping me digitize everything and Garrett Klein for lending me the screens!!

No comments:

Post a Comment