Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Embracing The Locals


There has been this big boom in supporting local businesses, eating at farm to table restaurants, and the DIY culture in general.. and I think it’s pretty great. Not saying I’ll never buy anything that’s “made in China” again, but Paul and I try our best to support the talented people and local businesses around us.

We’re part of a CSA (Community Sustained Agriculture) organization where we get vegetables from a nearby farm on Long Island. Since I don’t really love cooking, this has been great for getting me in the kitchen and giving Paul a hand. You don’t get to choose, you just receive whatever veggies are in season each week. Sometimes we get pretty crazy things and have to figure out how to prepare them. It’s made dinners more interesting and cooking way more fun.

We also used all local, small businesses for our wedding. Our best experience was working with Bella at Hibiscus Flowershop in our neighborhood. She got to know us, really got inspired by our venue, listened to what we wanted (let’s be real, what I wanted.. Paul didn’t care about the flowers), and worked within our budget. Of all the vendors we used, she was the one we had the best relationship with and were therefore the happiest with her work.

The other decision Paul and I made was to stop buying cheap, low quality furniture. Sorry, Ikea. So when I stumbled on this swoon worthy lamp by kahokia, a Brooklyn based design firm, I instantly coveted it. Their mission is to provide elegant, affordable design by American artists. They make these “manity's” which I think are super clever. Mancessories are a real thing.
Manity by kahokia

Paul likes modern design more than I do. I tend to gravitate towards antiques, but this lamp may have opened me up to a whole new world. The side view is cool, but what struck me about the lamp is the effect it creates on the wall when viewed from the front. The shadow evokes a standard floor lamp with a shade. The dichotomy of such a modern lamp giving off such a traditional shadow seemed to me so sophisticated and playful at the same time. It’s the first thing I turn on when I come in to the apartment now.

My cousins mockingly call me a hippie. While I wouldn’t describe myself that way, I do think there is something rewarding about supporting my local community. Aren’t we all tired of getting automated responses when we call stores? Isn’t it nice when the people you shop from remember your name? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment