Monday, April 1, 2013

Zombie Easter


Zombie Easter

Yesterday was Easter, but it was also the season finale of The Walking Dead. So we decided to combine the two. After all, Jesus did rise from the dead, so he was technically a zombie, right? My friend Jenny said it best: “Nothing celebrates the Resurrection like a zombie-themed Easter.”

We had some friends over to watch the show and eat an Easter dinner, with an emphasis on zombie inspired foods (bloody marys, beets, etc). Mark/PremRock also came over. He and Paul just got back from tour, and Prem started watching the show on the road since all the other guys were into it. When the rappers stayed at my parents house after SXSW, it was a Sunday night and we all sat down to watch the show together. There’s a reason they call themselves a rap family.

I wasn’t always so into zombies. I enjoyed Dawn of The Dead and 28 Days Later as much as anybody, but after watching Walking Dead, I became obsessed. I now have a zombie apocalypse escape route planned, and I assess people on whether I think they could survive the apocalypse or not.

Growing up in Texas, I was taken to the shooting range my whole life and given a rifle for my thirteenth birthday, so I’m a pretty decent shot. My dad is trying to get Paul involved with hunting too. While we were in Texas for this past Christmas, he signed Paul up for a hunter safety course. The class was outside of Houston and attended mostly by rednecks. Paul was the only black person, and we were a little nervous to leave him. He aced the exam though, and my dad has started to try and find times for the two of them to go on hunting trips. I’m just glad my dad now has a “son” he can drag on these trips instead of me. But if Paul can also get pretty good with a rifle, I think we may stand a chance when the zombie apocalypse hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment