Wednesday, April 3, 2013

I Blog About Rappers And Rappers Blog About My Mom


The rents
As tour season wraps up, I’ve noticed that a few rappers have blogged about their time in Houston at my parents house. It’s sweet that they were so appreciative of my parent’s hospitality, but it’s also really funny that rappers are blogging about my parents.

Toussaint Morrison spent some one-on-one time with my mom a few mornings when she dropped him off at a local coffee shop on her way to work. I enjoyed his description of my mother in his blog. He noted that since she is a lawyer, “there is no lack of confidence or contrition behind her voice.” I never considered that her matter-of-fact tone might be due to her practicing law for 20+ years. I’ve always known her to be that way and thought of it as a personality trait, rather than a learned behavior. Or maybe it is her personality, and that’s what makes her such a good lawyer?

The rappers were also quite entertained by my dads hunting accomplishments. The elk feast he served for dinner was definitely mentioned in Corina Corina's blog. And I noticed several rappers posing for pictures with the taxidermy throughout the house. Yes, taxidermy. My dad is as Texan as it gets. His pride and joy is the gemsbok antelope in the living room. Its horns are so tall that it couldn’t be mounted on the wall and instead requires a pedestal. It’s set in a little natural habitat of grass and cactus. I completely understand why the rappers were compelled to photograph it. There are also deer, a ram, an alligator, birds, and fish. At Christmas, my dad puts Santa hats on all of them. It's kinda amazing. My mom has put her foot down and said no more dead animals in the house, so now he hangs them in his office...

Blogging is a funny thing. Anyone can post their thoughts and stories on the internet (myself included). But I think it's pretty hilarious that my lawyer parents are being discussed through the lens of rap blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment